Sunday, November 21, 2010

Martine Stig

I love the realness of the photo's that Martine Stig takes. They're not extraordinary events she photographs, but real life moments and than to capture it in a way she does is very inspiring. To see how something so "normal" can be captured in a way to relive that moment by looking back at them. 


Martine Stig about her work:
The starting point in my work is photography; it's authenticity and voyeurism. Besides using the medium, I research the role it plays in looking at reality.
Referring to cliché's developed by the omnipresence of images, I try to direct the viewer by playing with his 'experience in viewing'. I am interested in the cultural differences involved in looking at an image, depending on context how one image can give reverse messages. But I am also interested in the universal need to take and cherish pictures of loved ones.


Sunday, Boom, 50 cm x 50 cm

Sunday (1997) is a family album of a fictitious childhood. In this series I searched for the unwritten rules for family photography, the cliché images that function as a collective memory. I staged scenes that can be found in every family album. The interchangeable pictures are so recognizable that no one doubts their genuineness.



Leuk voor later, 90 cm x 135 cm

Leuk voor later (For future use) (1995) which I made for my final exam. I tried to figure out to what extent does photography contribute to the creation of memories. In this series I focused on the properties of the snapshot. I staged scenes that could be taken from my daily life. By using tricks and aesthetics of the snapshot the images became convincing, as if the action really took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment